Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day



I had several uncles that served in the armed forces. My Uncle Furman was in the Navy, my Uncle Dalrymple, Uncle George, Uncle Francis, and Uncle Max were all in the Army.

Uncle George was in the Calvary and rode the horses for Presidential funerals. He lost a leg in combat.

Uncle Francis suffered from Post Traumatic Stress disorder the rest of his life. He paid a ongoing price for his service.

All of my uncles have passed on now. They served their country proudly (WWII) and gave of themselves.

President John F. Kennedy summed it up best with this quote, "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

While each of us have private (or not so private) feelings of the current war, I think we all agree that we should support our troops in our prayers and actions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Susan. My Dad is a WWII Veteran. He served on Saipan.

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely Memorial Day tribute.I love the picture.My dad was a World War ll Veteran and Memorial Day would have been his 82nd birthday.The first birthday and other celebrations are always so hard after a person's death.I know you are feeling the same after your mother's passing so close to my dad's passing in December.

    ReplyDelete

St. Therese

St. Therese, the Little Flower, please pick me a rose from the heavenly garden and send it to me with a message of love. Ask God to grant me the favor I thee implore, and tell Him I will love Him each day, more and more.