Mind - Studies have shown that an active mind will ward off Alzheimer's. The Alzheimer's Association recommends to keep your brain active every day:
1. Stay curious and involved — commit to lifelong learning (work, crafts, hobbies, etc...)
2. Read, write, work crossword or other puzzles (Sudoku, word finds, etc....)
3. Attend lectures and plays (I really do need to start doing this with the boys!)
4. Enroll in courses at your local adult education center, community college or other community group (I do this through my work. I just finished a technology class.)
5. Play games (does Uno count? The boys are just learning how to play this game.)
6. Garden (we'll start this in a few months.)
7. Try memory exercises (have lots of opportunities to do this!)
Soul - this is perhaps the hardest for me. I really truly want to increase my prayer life and Bible study. I really need to restructure my day to incorporate more time for this endeavor. I need to start a prayer journal. I have had one in years past but not recently. On this first day of the new year, perhaps I will once again start that as well. Although I know I am a child of God's, there are times that I feel so very unworthy.
Heart - I need to take a spiritual cardiogram. Has my heart become hardened to certain peoples and their plight? The book of Hebrews warns against this several times. What is hard-heartedness? Merriam-Webster definition states: adjective : lacking in sympathetic understanding. How many times are we hard, cold, indifferent, insensitive, callous, unkind, heartless, merciless, intolerant, uncaring, pitiless, unfeeling, unforgiving, or affectless? And before we answer that we not those things, I would encourage you to examine your own heart. The opposite of hard-heartedness - KINDNESS! So, I will practice kindness, kindness, kindness. It will be hard to do every day in every situation. I will need lots of prayers.
Whew! I certainly did not mean to go on and on. And, if you are still reading, thank you. Let's do some home improvements, shall we?
Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you will have a blessed year with lots of love and happiness!