Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Palm Sunday

One of the Sunday's that I really love and look forward to is Palm Sunday. It's the Sunday that begins Holy Week and starts one looking toward Easter. I love the scripture readings (even though it is very long), I love the red vestments of the priests, and I love getting the palms. Carrying palms in procession goes way back into the Old Testament, where it was not only approved but commanded by God at the very foundation of the Old Testament religion. In the fall of the year, after the harvest, God commanded this when the people gathered for the Feast of Tabernacles. "And you shall take to you on the first day the fruits of the fairest tree, and branches of palm trees, and boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook. And you shall rejoice before the Lord your God." Leviticus 23:40. Did I mention that I LOVE the Old Testament? Without understanding the Old Testament, one misses so much in the New Testament. I was fortunate to grow up with a father that instilled that love of the Old Testament in me. But, I digress.....

This year, I looked up the directions of how to make a cross out of the palms. Above are the three best ones. Somehow, we ended up with 8 palms and I made 8 crosses. Because they have been blessed, we cannot throw them away. They will be added to our other palms. I like to keep some under the mattress, some in drawers, and maybe this year, I will put some behind some holy pictures that we have.

Plus, did I mention, that my boys think I am the most creative, crafty person in the world because I can make crosses out of palms? I think I will let them think that a little bit longer!


1 comment:

  1. I love Palm Sunday too, but I think I like Holy Thursday even better. Our praise group sang today, so that made it even more special to me. We ended the mass with Jesus, Remember Me, sang accapella, and then exited the church in silence. Lovely, if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete

St. Therese

St. Therese, the Little Flower, please pick me a rose from the heavenly garden and send it to me with a message of love. Ask God to grant me the favor I thee implore, and tell Him I will love Him each day, more and more.