Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Shady Businesss


My sliding glass doors have been my nemesis ever since we moved into this house. It gets full sun from noon until sunset. It faces West, so it's hot sun. When we had shutters put in, the shutter guy did not have anything to offer us. Then, Dennis read you could put aluminum foil up to stop the heat. Needless to say, I did not want to use aluminum foil, it's expensive! I started looking at awnings but they were at least $1,000. I just did not want to spend that much money.


When I was at Big Lots last Friday, I saw these matchstick shades (or is it call broom stick shades, I can't ever remember.) They were the perfect size, so I bought 2 sets for $5 each. The one on the main door worked like a charm. The other side was more of a problem. I could not leave the hardware and bamboo sticks on the non-movable side. So, I took off all the hardware and begin to think how I could attach it to the glass. (Dennis, being funny, suggested that since I was from the South to just use Duct tape! Very funny Dear! He's a city boy and doesn't know any better.) Then, the idea came to me to use velcro. I hot glue the edges to make it the right size to fit the glass. I attached the shade with velcro circles to the glass at the top and the bottom. This will make it easy to remove should we wish to do that. I think it turned out very nicely. My friend, Tammy, suggested I use a table umbrella on the patio to stop the sun in the afternoons. It works like a charm. Now we will have a nice cool kitchen thanks to shades, an umbrella, and thinking outside the box.


Dennis and I are really fond of our new shades in the kitchen. I think it makes all the difference in the world.

3 comments:

  1. As I have said many times, Susan, you are a woman of many talents. Now you can add "interior decorator" to all those other titles. lol

    Love, Grandma Joyce

    p.s. I think they look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had bamboo shades like those on our 2 patio doors in California - I loved them!

    you are getting so much done this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sliding glass door, too which lets in heat and sun even with lined curtains. I had tried blinds before but the kitties tore them up. :{

    ReplyDelete

St. Therese

St. Therese, the Little Flower, please pick me a rose from the heavenly garden and send it to me with a message of love. Ask God to grant me the favor I thee implore, and tell Him I will love Him each day, more and more.